Etsy and Shopify make it real easy to set up an e-commerce shop. This guide on how to set up an Etsy shop the quick and easy way will help you get going in no time at all!
We’ve taken the guesswork out of the “how to” aspects of it, detailed in the steps that follow:
What is an Etsy Shop?
An Etsy shop is an online portal that acts as a marketplace to help sellers connect with buyers, much like Shopify and Meta’s Marketplace. The differences between these three selling portals is subtle, so knowing where to sell what is a good idea if you’re going to reach the right market:
Etsy: Best for selling vintage or handmade new items
Shopify: Best for branded items
Meta Marketplace: Best for second-hand goods, popup stores, and Meta catalogues that integrate with WhatsApp in your local community.
What Products Are Popular on Etsy?
Popular products that may be sold on Etsy include:
- handmade goods such as jewelry, accessories, clothing, art, candles, and paper goods.
- vintage items, ranging from antiques to vintage clothing to collectibles. These items typically must be at least 20 years old in order for them to be sold on Etsy.
- crafting supplies, which are materials that crafters can use to make their own creations to sell.
- a very small percentage of specific types of digital downloads (such as artwork or patterns) may also be sold on Etsy.
How Do I Set Up an Etsy Shop?
Setting up an Etsy shop is easy and straightforward: To get started:
- Log in to your Etsy account or create a new one if you haven’t already.
- Once logged in, click the “Sell on Etsy” button located at the top of the page.
- Follow the instructions that appear.
What Questions Do I Need to Answer When I Set Up an Esty Shop?
The setup process for an Etsy shop is easy and consists of seven basic question groups. You will be asked to:
- choose a shop name
- select your shop language
- enter contact information such as your email address, physical address and phone number
- set up payment methods for accepting payments from customers
- provide details about what type of items you plan to sell in your store
- select a billing plan for fees associated with selling on Etsy
… and then hit publish.
Congratulations! You now have your own Etsy shop!
How Do I Go Live With My Etsy Shop?
You can now start adding products and making sales, but there are a few more steps to take before you’re ready to go live with your shop. You will need to:
- upload quality product photos with detailed descriptions (including keywords)
- set shipping and payment methods
- create a profile page that includes information about yourself and the story behind your business
- and add policies such as return/refund or privacy policies.
Once everything is in place, hit “activate” at the top of your profile page so that shoppers can begin browsing and buying from your store.
6 Pro Tips to Start Selling From Your Etsy Shop
Now that you have your Etsy shop up and running, it’s time to start selling! Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Make sure your product listings are detailed and accurate. Make sure to include all the relevant information, such as dimensions, material used, etc., so customers know exactly what they are purchasing.
- Utilize SEO (search engine optimization) techniques to make sure your products can easily be found by potential customers. Use keywords in titles and descriptions so your items appear higher on search results pages.
- Take quality photos of your items from different angles whenever possible. Customers want to be able to visualize what they’re buying, so having clear and attractive images can go a long way in getting sales.
- Set realistic prices for your items that will also allow you to make a profit. Research what similar products are selling for on Etsy and set your prices accordingly.
- Be active on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to promote your shop and get more visibility. You can link to specific product listings or even provide discounts and incentives to those who follow you on social media outlets.
- Reach out to bloggers, influencers, or other websites that may be interested in featuring your products or reviewing them for their customers. This type of exposure can help you reach potential customers who may not have otherwise found out about you!
Following these tips will help you get your Etsy business off the ground in no time. Selling on Etsy can be a great way to make some extra money or even build a lucrative career, so take advantage of these tips and start selling today!
Catch the Builders.Build podcast with my best friends, Colin and James, to discover more about our individual TikTok perspectives and entrepreneurial journeys across brands, products, websites, and more.
Thank you for reading this guide on how to set up an Etsy shop!
If you found this content insightful and helpful, please be sure to like and share this article with your circle. Also, make sure to subscribe to the newsletter for more product development tips!
There’s never been a better time to start your own brand than right now. Browse the Product World library for more guides, expert tips, resources, factory links, and brand insight now.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Be sure to share your thoughts and ideas with me everywhere you see my personal brand displayed: @OrenMeetsWorld. You’ll find 7,000+ links to my creator content on:
NEWSLETTERS YOU SHOULD BE READING
Join thousands of happy readers already on my Product People newsletter when you subscribe. I’d be excited to have you in the community!